Matthew Kurz - Updates & Prayers

Periodic updates on Matthew's condition and ongoing prayers and words of encouragement for Matthew and his family.

May 23, 2006

A Report on Graduation

Well, this is probably old news for most of you because word has spread like wildfire about Matthew being at graduation and there was a newspaper article in the Sedalia Democrat. But for those of you that are not in the Central Missouri area to get all these reports - it really was a very special day and I'm glad to be able to give you a firsthand report!

The day started off great with Matthew's nurse, Everett and his mother and I loading him up in the handicapped accessible van for the trip from Columbia to Cole Camp. While Brenda signed Matthew out for the day, I had a few moments with him by myself. I told him how glad I was to be with him on this day and his godfather, Randy wanted to be there too, but he was preaching in St. Louis. I was holding Matthew's hand - he gave it a little squeeze and smiled at me. I can't tell you how happy that made me.

Matthew traveled very well in the van and stayed awake the whole trip. He even held his head up most of the way. We were treated to having a "bodyguard" when we arrived at the high school - Mr. Schearer, the new football coach. He stood by to help at every turn and monitored people going in and out of the room where we "made camp" near the entrance to the auditorium stage. He was truly a blessing to us that day.

Matthew's friends came in to visit him a few - sometimes more than a few - at a time. We were so thrilled to see Matthew smile several times at his friends. His smile isn't a wide open grin; the left side up his mouth turns up and his face is bright and clear - it's a wonderful sight to see. Then when his classmates left to get their graduation gowns on, then we got Matthew ready too and stayed in that room for most of the ceremony.

When the big moment came for presenting the graduates, the gentleman at the podium (sorry, I didn't catch his name) made an announcement that when Matthew came on stage to please refrain from applause and flash photography because that is difficult for brain trauma patients to take in. So, he said "Matthew Christian Kurz" and Rev. Kurz wheeled Matthew onto the stage in his cap and gown like the rest of the graduates and Brenda was by their side and she received the diploma. Matthew's head was held high and they turned him to face the auditorium. It brings tears to my eyes to retell the story. When Matthew came onto the stage, his classmates stood up and soon the whole auditorium rose and gave Matthew a silent standing ovation. We couldn't be more proud of this young man who has endured so much and made it so far since the accident.

At this point we left and loaded Matthew up in the van, so we didn't get to hear the reading of the awards and scholarships. But we were told by family members that stayed that when Matthew's name was read the auditorium erupted in cheering and applause.

Matthew's adventure that day didn't end with graduation. We then took him home for a little while. With a little effort his wheelchair was lifted into the house and Matthew sat in the living room soaking in the atmosphere (at least we think he was "soaking it in"). He was peaceful and quiet, but kept his head up and looked intently at his family and his nurse, Everett and speech therapist, Jenn.

I expected Matthew to fall asleep on the way back to Columbia, but he stayed away and kept his head up alot. He probably wanted to make sure I kept both hands on the wheel while driving :). He was settled back in his room and then could relax laying in his bed. It was a special day!

If you would like to read the article in the Sedalia Democrat here's the link:

http://www.sedaliademocrat.com/News/301782054066999.htm

I made sure to email the reporter that in the future, he should refer to him as Matthew or Richard, but not Matt!

As soon as I get the report from Matthew's parents on how the birthday party went, I will share that with you.

God is good!

Rachel Asburry
Matthew's godmother

5 Comments:

  • At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi guys -- It was so good to see you in downtown today! What a surprise!! I am also glad to read such good things about Matthew. Your support and unconditional love have certainly carried him through this difficult time. It is also wonderful to read that he was able to attend his graduation and to see his friends.
    Thank you so much for my graduation gift -- You all know that I have quite an interest in art, and Matthew and I have similar tastes in artwork. I love the pictures you gave me and they will be hanging on my wall.
    I enjoyed working with Matthew at Rusk and it is so special to be able to keep a piece of him -- especially the nose picker! ;-) ha ha Thank you again for my graduation gift and please know that you are in my thoughts.
    ~JAM~

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Matthew's "bodyguard" at graduation was Kevin Shearer, not Schlueter. I have known "Coach Shearer" all his life, and he is a wonderful young man, a true blessing, as you said. Rachel, I just couldn't let you be like the Sedalia Democrat and publish mistakes :) Thanks so much for the updates, may God continue to bless Richard and his family and all of us!

     
  • At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel -

    We attended the birthday/graduation party last night. Was unable to attend the graduation as a family member was in the hospital. However, I missed you at the house by 10 mintues.

    I to know how you feel as I cryed when they brought Matthew in the room with his graduation cap on last night. Yes, what a blessing as he has come so far and what a road that lies head of him. Last night was wonderful and I enjoyed the drive home with Andrew, Timothy and Lucas keeping me entertained.

    I would like to let everyone know that Everett his nurse is wonderful with Matthew and he as well as all his therapist deserve our prayers and support as they contine to work with Matthew.

    Congratulations Matthew.

    Love - Marsha (Your Scout Mom)

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just happened to be Columbia today and saw this story in the paper. Thought you might be interested. http://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/story.php?ID=19967

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i was so excited to see matthew at graduation. he looked to be doing VERY well and i have hope and faith that he wil;l keep progressing.

    sara

     

Post a Comment

<< Home