Matthew Kurz - Updates & Prayers

Periodic updates on Matthew's condition and ongoing prayers and words of encouragement for Matthew and his family.

April 13, 2006

Update - 4/13/06

Blessed Holy (Maundy) Thursday to all of you.

There hasn't been much change in Matthew's aggitation yet (although Brenda notices that he's a little calmer for her), but we still appreciate all the prayers for this particular aspect of Matthew's recovery.

Matthew continues to put his glasses back up on his nose as normal as he used to. This is good to see. Yesterday, Brenda saw Matthew lift his torso up off the bed, reach over with his left arm to his right leg and kind of curl up. This is another new action she hasn't seen him do before.

There are plenty of challenges in caring for Matthew. It's like a "wrestling match" all day long keeping Matthew away from the tubes and devices that he's attached to. Anything that is tight and constricting is very uncomfortable for brain trauma patients and they try to get rid of the discomfort. Unfortunately, those things are necessary for them to have attached to them. By the end of the day, Matthew's caregivers are exhausted trying to keep up with him.

A member of one of Pastor Kurz' congregations has asked me to include the following information for anyone interested in helping out with the Kurz' finances:

Holy Cross and St. John's Lutheran Churches are sponsoring a Free Will Donation Fund Raising Dinner on Sunday, April 23 from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The dinner will be held in the Lutheran School Gym, Cole Camp and will feature smoked pork and turkey, sides and desserts. A silent auction will also be held. The proceeds raised will go to Matthew's special needs with matching funds available from Thrivent Chapter 7792 and Holy Cross Chapter 7792.

Pastor Kurz and Brenda want all of you to know they pray you have a blessed and joyful Easter. They want you to know how much they appreciate all the words of encouragement for them and the prayers you lift up for Matthew on a regular basis. The following hymn brings great comfort to them and they would like to share it with you:

I know that my Redeemer lives!
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, he lives, who once was dead;
He lives, my ever-living head!

He lives triumphant from the grave;
He lives eternally to save;
He lives exalted, throned above;
He lives to rule His Church in love.

He lives to grant me rich supply;
He lives to guide me with His eye;
He lives to comfort me when faith;
He lives to hear my soul's complaint.

He lives to silence all my fears;
He lives to wipe away my tears;
He lives to calm my troubled heart;
He lives all blessings to impart.

He lives to bless me with His love;
He lives to plead for me above;
He lives my hungry soul to feed;
He lives to help in time of need.

He lives, my kind, wise, heav'nly friend;
He lives and loves me to the end;
He lives, and while He lives I'll sing;
He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King!

He lives and grants me daily breath;
He lives, and I shall conquer death;
He lives my mansion to prepare;
He lives to bring me safely there.

He lives, all glory to His name!
He lives, my Savior, still the same;
What joy this blest assurance gives;
I know that my Redeemer lives!

Lutheran Worship 264/The Lutheran Hymnal 200


Peace be with you,
Rachel Asburry

7 Comments:

  • At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    on this, Good Friday, as i read the 4/13 update, know i copied down the entire hymn printed...saying a prayer for matthew as i wrote it all down...i hope this sweet sentence gives you all comfort today....thank you so much for the time you take with these loving messages...praying you all get some rest, mrs.lithebe xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    me again...with all of you in my heart and prayers as Easter draws near...love, mrs. l. xoxoxoxoxo

     
  • At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it's Easter morning here in ohio--just like it is in Missouri...and i know this really isn't the kind of Easter all of you ever hoped you'd have to get through...all the good reverends working hard at what they do for so many others....all other family members kinda doin' the same things-thinking of others--just kindly and most respectfully know i hold you in my heart...today...Easter Sunday...love, mrs. lithebe xoxox

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    rachel...your son has been in my prayers off and on all day long...i was just outside today--workin' in the garden-- no real special place--just tender thoughts of all of you--all day long...and even now as i get ready for bed on this Easter evening, the same thoughts of your son are in my heart...that's how the Holy Spirit works in me....i know you understand my simple prayers ...love, mrs. l. xoxoxoxoxo

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    still praying..4/17..mrs. l. xoxo

     
  • At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is a wonderful hymn!!! Whenever I sing it, I will think of the Kurz family and everything the good Lord does for his children! Happy Easter to you all.

     
  • At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    4/19...just letting you know i am thinking of matthew this morning.. love, mrs. lithebe xoxoxoxoxoxo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home